Naim NDX 2 Network Player
The main focus in developing the Naim NDX 2 network player, however, was its performance. Along with Naim’s bespoke streaming platform, we implemented an upgraded DAC and discrete analogue stages. These and numerous other improvements over its acclaimed predecessor make the NDX 2 a sonic force to be reckoned with, offering highly immersive and lively replay quality.
Naim NDX 2 Features
- UPnP-enabled to allow streaming of audio files at up to 32bit/384kHz resolution from Naim Audio hard disk
- servers, network-attached storage (NAS) devices or any home computer
- Supports a broad range of music formats: WAV, FLAC, DSD, Apple Lossless, AIFF, AAC, Windows Media-formatted files, M4A and MP3. Gapless playback on all file formats
- Four 24bit/192kHz capable digital inputs (S/PDIF) to support optimum connection to external sources
- 5” colour display presenting album artwork as well as track information
- Built-in Chromecast allows you to stream from hundreds of supported smartphone or tablet apps (192kHz)
- Apple AirPlay – stream music from your iOS device or from iTunes and Apple Music
- Spotify Connect built-in to stream millions of songs from the world’s most popular streaming service
- Native support for TIDAL streaming service with free 90 day trial of lossless HiFi tier
- Front-panel USB port for replay of MP3 player and USB-stored audio (1.6A charge)
- vTuner 5* full-service internet radio
- Multiroom & Party Mode compatible
- iOS and Android Naim Audio app for intuitive control
- Bluetooth connectivity with aptX HD codec for quality audio playback
- Thanks to RC5 system integration, you can control compatible amplifiers that are connected to your network player directly from the Naim app on a phone or tablet.
- Bi-directional, Zigbee®-compatible remote control
- Roon ready – turning your music collection into a beautifully laid out catalogue
Technology & Craft
The Burr-Brown® PCM1792A digital-to-analogue converter working alongside our new streaming platform is one of the best available. We improved its performance even further by implementing our own digital filters and adding a discrete current-tovoltage converter immediately after the DAC.
The streaming section of the NDX 2 uses the latest Naim network card featuring lownoise, high-speed low-voltage differential signalling (LVDS) to route the digital audio signal. The higher speed is capable of decoding all HD audio formats at up to 32 bits/384 kHz or DSD128. Rather than the source acting as the digital timing master, our new streaming board turns things around and allows our DAC clock to control the flow of audio data. The data is integer-over-sampled in a SHARC DSP to an incredible 40-bit accuracy before it’s fed to the Burr-Brown DAC.
The NDX 2 features an integrated low-noise power supply with a custom-designed toroidal transformer and separate windings for the digital and analogue sections. However, the player can be upgraded with an external XPS DR or 555 PS DR power supply, giving you a marked increase in sonic authority and emotion.
During the development of the NDX 2, our engineers examined every detail, from mechanical construction, component selection and board layout. The result is a network player worthy of the Naim badge, with a sound that’s rich, detailed and engaging.